Organizing any event ̶ whether a festival for thousands or a garden walk for a hundred ̶ takes many hours of planning and preparation. However, unexpected situations can arise with even the most meticulously planned events.
To help ease the worries of injury, property damage or other unforeseen exposures, speak to your local independent insurance agent about whether you have adequate insurance coverage for your event, large or small. For some situations, you will want to seek advice about your homeowner or personal umbrella coverage. For larger events sponsored by a club or organization, a commercial insurance policy may be the best choice. You can protect yourself or your organization by purchasing special events coverage. If you plan to host a smaller event, such as a garden walk, farmers market or home tour, your local agent will have several questions for you including:
- Who organizes the tour?
- Is there a fee for the tour?
- How often will the tour occur and for what duration?
- How many people do you expect to attend?
- Is the event indoors or outdoors?
If you are planning a larger event or festival, be ready to answer additional questions to help tailor the coverage in your policy to the event you are planning, such as:
- Who is sponsoring the event, and is there already some insurance in place?
- Will you use permanent or portable bleachers?
- Is there parking on or off premises?
- Will the event feature amusement rides?
- Is there a parking attendant?
- Will alcohol be served?
- What items are being sold in your concession stands?
- If you are the sponsor, did you remember to obtain insurance certificates from third parties that may be providing services at your event?
Protect the success of your special event and preserve your own peace of mind with the right insurance coverage.