Keep your holiday merry. Be cautious with
candles, Christmas lights and fireplaces,
You want your holidays to be memorable, but for the right reasons. Help ensure your holiday is safe and happy by observing these simple – but essential – tips to help safeguard your loved ones and belongings.
Celebrate with a live tree – safely
- Choose the right tree! Healthy trees have green needles that do not fall off easily and supple, not brittle, branches.
Use fire pits away from
Fire pits and chimeneas have become very popular and are widely available for sale at garden and home stores. As you enjoy these products on a cool, fall evening, it is important to use them safely. Please keep these guidelines in mind:
- Please check with your local municipality to determine if these devices are legal or whether a permit is required. Determine whether a cover is required for a fire pit.
- Observe any burning bans or Red Flag warnings in your area, and comply with any ozone warnings that may be in place.
- Place a chimenea or fire pit securely on a flat surface that is non-combustible. Do not place directly on a wooden surface.
This is the fifth of five blogs on fire safety topics during our October observance of Fire Prevention Month.
Most campus-related fires occur in off-campus housing, according to statistics collected by the U.S. Fire Administration. Considering that the majority of the nation’s 20 million college students choose to live in off-campus housing, this puts a significant number of them at risk.
This is the fourth of five blogs on fire safety topics during our October observance of Fire Prevention Month.
A carbon monoxide alarm may or may not
have a digital readout.
Burning wood in a fireplace. Heating a home with a gas furnace. Cooking on a gas stovetop. Grilling with charcoal. Running a combustion engine such as an automobile or generator. Drying clothes in a gas dryer. Many of us enjoy these modern conveniences, but what is the danger they all have in common? Carbon monoxide.
In 2010, U.S. fire departments responded to more than 80,000 non-fire carbon monoxide incidents. In 2008 alone nearly 200 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning.