This is the fourth of five blogs on fire safety topics during our October observance of Fire Prevention Month.
Burning wood in a fireplace. Heating a home with a gas furnace. Cooking on a gas stovetop. Grilling with charcoal. Running a combustion engine such as an automobile or generator. Drying clothes in a gas dryer. Many of us enjoy these modern conveniences, but what is the danger they all have in common? Carbon monoxide.
In 2010, U.S. fire departments responded to more than 80,000 non-fire carbon monoxide incidents. In 2008 alone nearly 200 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning.